District 3 Councilmember
District 3 Councilmember
- How long have you lived In Long Beach?
Moved here in 1990 to attend college. Went away to law school in 1996 and returned in 2003.
- What job or past role will most help you be an effective mayor of Long Beach?
I have had a long career in public service, not in politics. My work as an Assistantt District Attorney has taught me about service, transparency and helping those who don't have a voice maneuver systems that are often scary and unfamiliar to them. I help people who are victimized every day and my commitment to seeking truth and justice, for everyone, even the accused, will help me lead from a place of inclusivity and care. This commitment to service, over politics, will help me continue to be responsive and engaged with the public as I undertake the role of Mayor. I understand at my core that if people don't have a voice or a part in the process, they cannot trust the outcomes. I have also been a business owner for the past 3+ years. This experience has taught me, firsthand, how challenging it is for businesses to get started and to stay afloat, especially in difficult times, like the pandemic. This experience has taught me how important it is to not make assumptions about an industry or a profession.
- Describe the key characteristics/elements that you feel unify this city across its 9 districts and disparate geography.
Everyone wants to feel safe and everyone wants to have pride in the communities where they are building their lives, raising their families and looking to retire. This is a common need/desire in all of the districts.
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Extrovert for sure.
- Which (living) national leader in any arena — politics, arts, culture, business, etc. — do you admire and why?
I would have had a different answer if this question had been asked last month. Today, there is no one I respect more than Volodymyr Zelensky. He is standing up in the face of death and fighting for his country against overwhelming odds. He is inspiring the world to stand up for what is right.
- What is your favorite L.B. hangout with friends and/or family?
Ubuntu Cafe. Without a doubt.
- List the top three quality-of-life issues you see Long Beach residents dealing with right now.
National issue impacting our residents:
Inflation/Affordability of every day items/services
- What is your preferred or most used social media platform?
- Outside of Long Beach, where in the state is your happy place?
My "happy place" is in Long Beach. It's the dock located outside of the boathouse, where the rowers launch. Outside of the city, I would say any hiking trail that is secluded. Hiking is my favorite hobby.
- Name something about Long Beach you wish more people were aware of.
We are the largest small town they'll ever see.